How we work
What is a Protected Place?
IUCN (World Conservation Union) defines protected areas as: a clear geographical space that is recognized, committed and managed through legal or other effective means to achieve long-term protection of nature and its ecosystem services and cultural values The Our well-known protected areas, national parks, wilderness and community protected areas are all protected areas. At present, the protection of biodiversity through the construction of protected areas is the most effective way for nature conservation workers worldwide to agree.
At the tenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP10), representatives of 193 countries and regions jointly recognized and adopted the Aichi Goals, Article 11 stipulated that by 2020, at least 17 per cent, Land and inland waters and 10 per cent of coastal and marine areas, particularly those for biodiversity and ecosystem services, through the establishment of effective and equitable management, ecologically representative and well-connected Protected area systems and other zone-based effective protection measures, and are incorporated into a wider range of terrestrial landscapes and marine landscapes. The construction of protected areas has become a global consensus and concerted action.
Construction of protected areas in china
China has established a relatively complete system of nature reserves, of which nature reserves are one of the most important part. As of 2015, the country has established 2740 nature reserves, covers an area of more than 14.8%, plus other protected areas, 2016 China's protected area has exceeded 20.75%.
Protected Areas Comparison: US & China
|Number of protected areas||407（National Parks）||407（Nature Reserves）|
|Total protected area||33.99km2||94.04km2|
|Total investment||RMB 18,799 M||RMB 14,066 M|
|Average investment||RMB 553.07 M/ km2||RMB 149.57 M/ km2|
|Total protected area||55,307km2||14,957km2|
What’s the Next Step?
Privately Protected Area, the definition of integrated IUCN protected area governance is the place of protection and management of the forces of government (such as non-governmental organizations, enterprises, individuals or communities). In China, many public service agencies have been engaged in the construction and management of protected areas, such as the use of trusteeship and circulation of the establishment of the "social welfare model", the use of community power to protect the community to protect the community and the protection of the protection And other models by a lot of public institutions in the attempt to carry out.
China currently has more than 5,000 public welfare foundation, each year for the Chinese public welfare donations over 100 billion yuan. We believe that with the state of ecological civilization to pay more attention, there will be more charitable donations into the construction of protected areas. However, the development of public welfare areas in China still has some challenges: Public welfare protection in China's development history is very short, China engaged in public protection and protection of the construction and management of the institutions rarely, and the ability to have a lot of room for improvement;
In addition to nature reserves and scenic spots, the other types of protected areas in China has no clear legal status;
• Public awareness of protected areas and public places of protection is inadequate; • Lack of sustainable financing model for the construction and management of public welfare areas;
Therefore, recognizing these challenges, we hope to promote the development of public welfare areas in China through the joint charitable organizations of China and the establishment of the Nature Conservancy. It is hoped that by 2030, public service agencies can help the country to effectively protect 1% of the land area. So we hope:
- To promote more institutions to establish their own public welfare areas, to further expand the demonstration of public welfare areas;
- Enforcing public service institutions, capacity building and accompanying growth of public welfare institutions, fostering more willing and competent institutions for public welfare protection;
- To promote China's protected areas of legislation and policies, so that public welfare protected areas into the national laws or policies recognized in the protected area system, and the introduction of the corresponding incentive policies;
- To establish a link between protected areas and the public, so that more people can experience, understand the nature reserves, support the construction of nature reserves and participate in the protection of nature reserves;
- To help public welfare areas to establish a diversified and sustainable financial mechanism.